What is Accent Reduction?
Accent reduction, also known as accent modification or accent coaching, is the process of changing one’s speech patterns to sound more like a native speaker of a certain language or dialect. Accent reduction can help people who speak English as a second or other language (ESOL) to communicate more effectively, confidently, and professionally in various settings, such as work, school, or social situations.
2D Sound Motion Technology Method & Practice in Accent Reduction & Speech Modification.
2D Sound Motion Technology (SMT) is a technology that uses two-dimensional visual and auditory feedback to help learners master correct pronunciation and fluency in American English. This technology helps learners understand the sound system of American English and how to produce the sounds correctly. 2D SMT was developed by Dr. Alex Obskov, a University professor, a professional linguist, and an American accent coach who created the American Accent Training Program.
For example, 2D SMT can effectively help learners with the R sound development by showing them the position and movement of their tongue, lips, teeth, and jaw when they produce the R sound. The R sound is a retroflex sound, which means that you curl your tongue back and touch the roof of your mouth with the tip of your tongue. You also use your vocal cords to make the sound. 2D SMT provides learners with audio examples of how the R sound should sound, and how they compare to their own pronunciation. By using 2D SMT, learners can see and hear their own errors, and correct them accordingly. This technology trans accents almost at a native level.
To Use 2D Sound Motion Technology to Pronounce the American [D] Sound, You Need to Follow These Steps:
- Choose a word or a sound that contains the [R] sound, such as “car” or “red”.
- Watch 2D Sound Motion Simulator (an example is here) that shows you how to position your tongue, lips, and jaw for the [R] sound. Try to repeat the exact movement as you can see on the screen.
- Imitate the native speaker’s pronunciation and mouth movement while looking at the 2D Sound Motion Simulator.
- Record your own pronunciation and compare it with the native speaker’s pronunciation.
- Repeat the process until you are satisfied with your pronunciation.
- Practice this sound in phonetic exercises, practice sentences, and paragraph practice to sound naturally and fluently.
Prof. Alex created all American sounds in 2D Sound Motion Simulator to educate his students. This technology is available in his One-on-One sessions only.
How to Succeed in Accent Reduction?
There are many techniques and strategies to succeed in accent reduction, which is the process of improving your pronunciation and clarity in a foreign language. Some of the most common and effective methods are:
- Listening and imitating native speakers of the American language, such as through watching videos, listening to podcasts, or having conversations;
- Practicing phonetic training is learning the sounds and symbols of American English and how to produce them correctly;
- Learning with an American Accent coach, linguist, or University professor who developed a program that includes feedback, guidance, and resources to improve your accent. They can identify and correct your errors and give you tips and advice to improve your accent almost at a native level;
- Repeating and reviewing the words, phrases, and sentences that are challenging for you and focusing on the aspects of your speech that need improvement, such as stress, intonation, or rhythm;
- Utilizing tongue twisters and articulation exercises are fun and effective ways to train your mouth muscles, improve your fluency, and reduce your accent.
- Incorporating pronunciation into your everyday communication by speaking as much as possible in your target language and being mindful of your accent and how you can improve it.
If you want to master your speaking and listening skills and speak like a native or close to it, please check Prof. Alex’s website, www.myaccentway.com. To customize Your Personal American Accent Program, please, check his YouTube channel to learn how to start your individual American accent reduction training.
Don’t miss this opportunity to improve your American accent and speak English with confidence and clarity. Try 2D Sound Motion Technology today and see the difference for yourself!
accentcoach #accentreductioncoach americanaccenttraining americanenglish accentreduction accentreductionclasses accentreductionclassesnearme americanenglishpronunciation masteringamericanaccent pronunciation americansounds americanvowels #americanrsound 2dsoundmotiontechnology ESL eslclasses southernaccent